As spring is here, your plants & garden would be bursting into a riot of Spring flowering colours and fragrances. With the right care, fertiliser and tools you can ensure that your plants continue to thrive and bring joy throughout the season.
In this blog, we'll explore some essential spring plant care tips to keep your garden looking its best.
- Pruning and Deadheading: Spring is the perfect time to give your spring flowering plants a little haircut. Prune away dead or damaged branches and spent flowers with good pair of pruning shears. This not only tidies up the plant but also encourages new flowering growth and more blooms.
Watering Wisely: As the weather warms up, it's important to adjust your watering schedule. Aim for deep, infrequent watering to encourage deep root growth. It is critical to your plants health to check that your plants need watering before getting in there with the water, a few methods- the finger test, pop a finger in and if it comes out dry good to water. If the soil is a bit icky for you, try a chopstick following the same. If you want to get it spot on a water meter device can help you understand the needs of your plants better.
Time of day for watering would have to be early morning as the best time to water, allowing the soil to absorb moisture before the heat of the day- if it’s been particularly hot you can also water once the sun has moved off your plants for the day- evenings after 6pm is usually best.
- Fertilising: Provide a boost of nutrients to your plants with a balanced fertiliser. Regular fertilising during the growing season is critical to nutrient-rich soil resulting in healthier, more vibrant blooms.
- Pest and Disease Management: Keep an eye out for signs of pests and diseases, these may include leaves changing colour dramatically, soil with fungus or mould on the surface, live pests on your plants.
Early detection and intervention is crucial. Consider using natural remedies or organic pesticides to protect your plants without harming beneficial insects.
- Support Tall Plants: If you have tall or heavy-flowered plants, use stakes or trellis to support them. We often recommend a bamboo stake or trellis to give your blooming buddies the best chance. This prevents them from bending or breaking under their own weight and ensures they stand tall and proud.
- Divide and Conquer: Some perennials benefit from division in mid-spring. This not only rejuvenates the plant but also provides an opportunity to expand your garden or share with friends and neighbours.
- Consider Companion Planting: Explore companion planting options to deter pests and improve pollination. For example, planting marigolds with your vegetables can help keep aphids away, while attracting pollinators like bees.
- Stay Vigilant with Weeding: Weeds can quickly take over your garden and compete for resources with your beloved plants. Regular weeding sessions, especially after rain, can help keep them in check.
- Enjoy the Blooms: Lastly, don't forget to take time to simply enjoy your garden. Spring is a glorious time when the hard work you put into your garden truly pays off. Sit back, relax, and savour the beauty and tranquillity of your outdoor space.
Spring is a crucial time for nurturing your garden. With the right care, your plants will continue to flourish, providing you with a breathtaking and vibrant outdoor sanctuary. Follow these tips, and you'll be rewarded with a garden that thrives throughout the season, delighting both you and any visitors who come to admire its beauty and array of fragrances.
Until next time,
See you online or in-store real soon.